Monday, November 30, 2009

Affirmation Circle

Once a month I get together with a group of fabulous girls in my youth group. These girls have been hand picked and personally chosen by me for various reasons. It is my way of connecting with them and raising them up as future leaders in whatever God has called them to do.
Yesterday we did an affirmation circle. For those of you who don't know what that means, I'll explain. You sit in a circle and one person at a time is in the spot light. Everyone in the circle affirms that person and then you move on to the person sitting next to them. By the end, everyone is affirmed by everyone. I have a love/hate feeling about affirmation circles. I love it for the bond it brings to the group, but I hate having to think of what to say and saying it out loud with everyone watching and listening. I always feel like I can't get the words out right and I want to say something really awesome. I know...I'm selfish. These circles aren't supposed to be about you. They are about loving others.
And of course by the end of the night we were all laughing, crying, and hugging. There was even restoration and forgiveness! It was a big win for all of us.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Ashley,

    I read all of your prior posts after we talked the other night and I am keeping up and really enjoying getting to know you better, too.

    I hope your commitment to keep up with this blog will inspire me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Claudia. It means a lot to me that you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Affirmation is a powerful thing!People blossom the more affirmation takes place.

    ReplyDelete