Sunday, March 13, 2011

Something to Celebrate

I did say that my next blog was going to be on overcoming temptation, but I wanted to break it up a little to tell you something I'm excited about. When I was 15, a woman in my church decided to personally disciple me by bringing me into her home every Friday afternoon. For the first 30 minutes we would read and talk about different women in the Bible from a book we were going through. Then she would teach me something practical that had to do with homemaking. She taught me how to make a weekly food menu for a family, how to make an ingredients list to take to the grocery store, how to go grocery shopping, how to notice prices, how to choose healthy options, and how to keep a food budget. But two things that impacted me the most were things that I observed from her life by watching her. They may seem small and insignificant to most people, but in my young heart I made them personal goals to one day accomplish as a mother.
Every morning she was up at 5:00am, sitting in her rocking chair in their living room, reading her Bible for at least an hour.
After her morning reading, she would make a fresh breakfast for her family everyday! Now of course they were usually the same four or five things repeated, but each morning when her family awoke, they woke up to the smell of bacon, french toast, biscuits, etc.
I haven't made it to 5:00am yet, but I started with 6:00 and now I realize if I'm going to get adequate time in my Word before Isaiah wakes up and get breakfast on the table without rushing, it's gonna have to be 5:30 and I'm actually excited about it. I used to dread even the thought of these goals, but through a very slow process, I'm making my way there.
I've been making weekly dinner menus for a while now and doing pretty good with having dinner on the table most nights. It's been a lot easier since I discovered crockpot cooking. But this past week I've ventured out and have made several different breakfast items from a book I got for Christmas called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. They are easy and healthy recipes. I've only done the breakfast section so far but they've all been hits! We've had french toast, applesauce muffins made with oatmeal, green eggs and ham made with spinach, banana bread, and blueberry lemon muffins. Everything has been so good and there is more to come. I feel like I'm on my way to accomplishing two of my life goals and that is something to celebrate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment