Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mommy-Leader


Just minutes before show time, the dining table sat perfectly arrayed. A pretty tablecloth and floral centerpieces set the foundation for the strategically placed plates, forks, spoons, cups and saucers positioned in front of each of the eight stuffed-toy guests invited to my daughter's tea party. Bowls filled with raisins, goldfish crackers, bananas and green olives provided a generous culinary offering. 

 

"The sound of my
oft-repeated phrase
served as a deep reminder
of how my child watches 
and listens to everything I say."


A beautiful spread, but it was ruined in the short time it took my daughter to change into her princess dress. When I entered the dining room I found Aly staring at the center of the table in disbelief while our family dog devoured the cheesy delights and polished off the green olives while the getting was good. Tears streamed down Aly's face while she repeated over and over, "Roll with the punches Aly, just roll with the punches." The sound of my oft-repeated phrase served as a deep reminder of how my child watches and listens to everything I say.

I scooped the dog off the table, scolded him and promptly sent him to time-out in the backyard. I then turned my attention to my 4-year-old. Together we re-set her table, cleaned up the mess, and positioned each invitee at their seat with newly filled bowls. This time I joined the party as Aly's guest of honor. We sipped lemonade, ate green olives and goldfish crackers and talked about how life was all about "rolling with the punches."   




1 comment: