Monday, January 30, 2012

Yummy For My Tummy Oatmeal

In continuing "Good Daniel Fast Recipes" from the January 21 blog entry:
Oatmeal is a great option if you are craving something sweet for breakfast. It also really fills you up. The instant flavored oatmeal is filled with sugar, so I bought the round container of plain Quaker Oats. They have a "quick 1 - minute microwave" option. Follow the directions on the container and add a few things to spice it up. Their suggested serving amount for one person was too much for me to eat, especially after adding fresh fruit to it, so I cut it in half and added what I wanted.
Here are a few options:
Add 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped into small pieces (I put the apple in my oatmeal before I heated it up in the microwave. After cooking, the texture softens. I personally enjoyed it more this way)
1/3 cup of raisins (Nature's Harvest has a gourmet raisin blend of crimson, dark, and golden raisins)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp pure almond extract
Fresh strawberries, chopped in small pieces
Cranberries (Nature's Harvest has a bag of cranberries mixed with pomegranate and infused with cherries and blueberries)
You can also add a little soy milk or drink it cold on the side.
I wouldn't do all of the options at the same time, but you can experiment and find what you like.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm....this sounds yummy! Thanks for posting!
    Brig

    ReplyDelete