Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Woman I Want To Be

I've always wondered what the bid deal is about Ruth. I finally read through her story myself and fell in love with her inner beauty. Her choice to stay with her mother-in-law, Naomi, was probably a hard one, but the right one. Naomi had turned into a bitter, negative woman after the death of her husband and sons, but who could blame her? On the other hand, how could you leave a lonely old woman to figure out life all alone? I'm sure Ruth had her own opinions about things, but she never argued with Naomi. She trusted and obeyed. She called herself "your servant, Ruth." Boaz (the hottest and wealthiest man in town) said of her that "everyone in town knows you are an honorable woman." Her reputation came from her inner life. She was a woman of humility and service and God blessed her with favor, food, a job, and eventually the whopper - Boaz himself. And it didn't stop there. Through them came the lineage of Jesus.
In this fast paced, materialistic, keeping up with the Jones' world we live in, it is so easy to get distracted with everything we should be doing and could be having. Reading the story of Ruth reminded me that there is only one kind of woman I need to be to my family and friends - one who humbly serves.

No comments:

Post a Comment