Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mom Thoughts

One thing I've learned over the last eight years of mothering is that there are good times and not so good times. There are days where you feel like you're actually doing pretty good as a mom, your kids seem like they're growing in the right direction, they're good and easy for you, they seem happy and that makes you happy. But there are also those days that seem like weeks where everything seems like work. Just the thought of going out with the kids seems overwhelming, yet if you stay home, your walls might cave in on all of you and you might not survive. They argue, they complain, they whine, they fight, they argue and complain some more, and by the end of the day, you collapse.
It's amazing how the weather has a lot to do with it.  Two weeks ago it was warm and beautiful. Days full of swimming potential. And we took full advantage. This past week however has been rain every day. We've been stuck inside. You can only watch so many movies, play so many games, make so many cookies, take so many naps, have so many time-outs before you quickly feel like you've run out of options. 
I used to think I wasn't a self-motivating person, but motherhood (i.e.desperation) has turned me into one. I read as many mother centered books and magazines I can, I listen to family focused podcasts, I read the Bible as much as I can, I get busy, I slow down, I spend time with other moms when I can and all of that has truly helped to get me through. I find that staying a "learner" helps to keep you moving so you don't get stuck. I love hearing other mom's real life stories to find out they don't have it all together either. They too, like all of us, have good days and not so good days. It helps to remember this is a season of life. There will be change up ahead. It's not knowing how and when the change will come that is hard for most of us. 
Deuteronomy 31:8 "The Lord goes before you. Do not be afraid. He will not forsake you."

4 comments:

  1. You are awesome !!!


    Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom! You have always been one of my biggest fans!

      Delete
  2. Ashley! I love your writings. Your thoughts are so honest and insightful... very encouraging! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete