Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Influence

The book I'm currently reading is called A Mom After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. There is so much meat in it. I love it because it's both spiritual and practical. My eyes have really been opened to the direct influence I have on their hearts just by being their mom. I am going to shape them one way or another and I want it to be for Jesus. I want them to be leaders. I want them to be confident. I want them to be secure in their identity as a Vogel and as a child of God. They are like little hungry birds wanting me to feed them. I think of our relationship as a fountain. Whatever I pour into my heart will overflow into their hearts. If I feed myself lust for materialism, selfishness, negativity, anger, frustration, etc., that is what will be in their hearts. And we all know what's in our heart comes out of our mouth and leads to action and decisions we make, called our future. So what's in our heart determines our destiny. I have to think now about what kind of men I want them to be. It's my choice, however, to fill my heart with the Word of God, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, gentleness (the Fruits of the Spirit, Galatians 5:22). Of course I'm not anywhere near perfect in these areas. In fact I'm actually closer to the "need lots of help" side of the spectrum. But I do my best spending daily time reading, memorizing, and meditating on God's Word and in the "fruits" that I really need help in. I let the Holy Spirit pour his cleansing rain into my soul as I spend time in his presence, prayer, and individual worship. I know I am a work in progress so I need to do my best to let God do His work in me for the sake and destiny of my three little boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment