Saturday, September 19, 2009

Do Whatever We Want Day!

Today is "do whatever we want day!" I just declared it. There have been three huge changes that have completely affected our family life and it's been a major adjustment. Not that it's weighed heavy on our family, but any change takes time to get used to. 1. Aaron is in training to become the General Manager at New Orleans Hamburger and Seafood. Nothing will change at the church accept the paycheck. He has almost completely come off salary so that our main income will come from the restaurant. 2. I started homeschooling the boys. I love it and it's very exciting knowing I am directly influencing them in their memorization of scripture and understanding Bible stories. It is also helping me do the same! The first week they learned how to draw lines from left to right so they can learn to read. Last week we started on individual letters. 3. Isaiah is now relentlessly getting out of his crib. We have ordered a toddler bed and I can't wait until it comes in. Some nights I wish I had ordered a straight-jacket instead. Aaron figured out if he lets Isaiah climb in his bed by himself and tells him to lay down on his own, he stays in and goes to sleep!!! Wow! Talk about a strong will!!
Needless to say, we desperately needed a day like today. So this morning I went to the store and bought Cheez-its, chips and salsa, animal crackers, yoo-hoo's, fruit roll-ups, chocolate granola bars, regular chips, fun cereal packs, coke, oatmeal cream pies, and sweet and buttery popcorn!!! I know this is stuff most people have in their kitchens all the time, but not us. I am determined for my boys to develop healthy eating habits. Of course when we're on vacation, at birthday parties, or during the holidays I let them eat whatever they want, but if I'm the one in charge of the grocery shopping and cooking meals, I want to be a good steward of the little bodies God gave me.
I also don't let them watch TV during the week. Sometimes they watch cartoons in the morning, but rarely. We have "TV day" which is Friday and Saturday. But today, on "do whatever we want day," we will be eating junk food and watching a Sponge Bob-a-thon in our p.j.'s.

No comments:

Post a Comment