Friday, January 15, 2010

21 Day Fast

Our church is doing a 21 day fast which started on January 11. Twenty one days is a long time. I am not a good faster but I am hoping God changes that because I want to know it's spiritual power. Our pastor told us there are 15 local churches also doing this fast starting on the same day as us! That is exciting! He said he had never heard of that before, so God is really up to something in our community! There are three ways you can fast:
1. A complete fast (no food and only water)
2. A partial fast (fast sun up to sun down)
3. A Daniel fast (eat all fruits and veggies; no meats, sweets, soda, coffee, bread, dairy, pasta, rice)
We are also reading the New Testament during the fast. That part is really exciting for me because I have only read through Revelation recently. I can't believe I've been saved almost 15 years and have never read through one book of the Bible!! I've read many many chapters, but have never purposed to read an entire book. I'd bet most Christians could say that. That is all going to change for me and I've really been enjoying it. The resounding theme I get from Jesus' teachings in Matthew is that it's all about the heart. Doing things that way is so much harder. It's much easier to do "the right thing" outwardly while covering up a bad attitude or a wrong motive. Once you start looking at your heart, which is intangible and undetectible things get much cloudier. And because I can't see my heart or detect it's motives, how am I supposed to control or manage it? So for now all we can do is have an intimate relationship with our maker who knows every motive of our heart and ask Him to tell us. Happy fasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment