Monday, March 28, 2011

Best Self-Help Advice

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." Philippians 4:8.
There are seasons that seem like a breeze. Things just go right. You feel good, you have energy, you have lots of friends, there is something to be excited about. Then there are the more difficult seasons of life where things just plain ol' suck. When things don't go my way. When I'm in physical or emotional pain. When I can't see the end to this season.
I'd always wondered about the above scripture. What "things" was Paul talking about? What in my life or things going on in the world are right? Pure? Excellent? In the hard seasons of life, it's hard to see those kinds of "things." But I think this scripture finally makes sense to me. In general he's saying to keep your mind on the positive. It's not as easy as it sounds, especially when you really are in some kind of pain or circumstances really are bad. It takes courage. It takes a choice of your will. It takes discipline.
My mom is famous for telling us, "When you're feeling down, just start saying what you are thankful for." I used to roll my eyes and doubt that it would ever help, but the more I do it, the easier it gets and it really does work! There have been a few seeds planted in my heart like this over time of people sharing their stories and saying how thankfulness and a greatful attitude has gotten them through the hard times.
So I am here to say do it. Attitude is always a choice no matter what the circumstance. There is always something to be thankful to God for, even if you have to dig deep down inside of yourself to find it. It's there.
There are so many things I am truly thankful for. I will fight to keep my mind on the positive and not dwell on the negative. Lord help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment