Wednesday, August 3, 2011

God Gets Motherhood

As I was reading in the book of Numbers this morning, I saw a correlation between motherhood and God with the Isrealites. Over and over again, they argued, complained, and were very stubborn. God had proven that He knew what was up, yet they refused to listen! Wow, this sounds like my kids at times.
God's interaction with His children sounded familiar. He couldn't get them to do anything until He got mad enough to do something that got their attention. Even the nice things He did, like give them the meat they complained about not having, He did in aggrivation. He gave them so much of it they were literally sick of it and even complained about that! He got frustrated and angry with them over and over again. He often threw up his hands in the air and said, "Forget it! Because of your disobedience and complaining, you won't get ANYTHING!" Hmmm...sounds like me at times. In Numbers 14:34 God told them, "You will discover what it is like to have me as your enemy!" Sometimes I wish I could say those exact words to my kids and smite them with leprosy for 5 minutes just to get them to take me seriously! It's good that I don't have that kind of power.
Moses had to remind God that His true character was not this way. He is slow to anger, rich in unfailing love, and forgives the sins of a thousand generations. I am reminded even by reading that verse that if I want to be like God, I too must be slow to anger, rich in love, and forgiving the many sins my children commit all day long because God is this way towards me.
I'm glad God understands how I feel as a mom. It makes me feel more confident to ask for his grace, mercy, and help every minute of every day because I sure do need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment