Monday, July 6, 2009

Gabe's sleepover

So I said I'd update you about Gabe's first ever sleepover and here goes. It was a scene to behold. Six boys running around the house like wild Indians while still staying sweet at the same time. They all arrived just before dinner. One boy wanted to stay so bad, but had major doubts about letting his dad leave him. They all proudly and boldly announced "I'm sleeping over" as each new boy arrived. They played with Gabe's new soccer net and ball, swam in the kiddie pool, enjoyed cake and ice cream, and anticipated Gabe opening up his new presents. I thought, "How sweet. They are proud of what they brought and want Gabe to have it," as if they were showing such giving and selfless hearts. On the contrary. I soon found out they wanted Gabe to open his new presents so THEY could play with them! It was the funniest thing ever to watch. As Gabe opened each present, they hooted and hollared as if they had just received their own new toys. To ensure we got rid of every bit of their energy, the air mattress suddenly became a wrestling ring. They fought, dragged, sat on, and pushed each other off of the mattress over and over. It was a battle of survival. It is amazing that this male dominance thing shows itself in a tiny little 5-year old body. By 9:00 they were in their p.j.'s, and safely and warmly tucked in their spot on the living room floor watching "The Good Night Show." I was sure they were all going to make it. By 10:30 I was beginning to wonder if we were ever going to get any sleep. Soon after that, as one boy began crying for his mommy, they all began crying. Aaron called all of their moms and by 11pm they were gone. I'd say it was successful. Gabe woke up the next morning with a sad little face saying, "I'm never going to have a sleepover again." I had to remind him that it wasn't about the boys sleeping over that made it a good party. What made it a celebration was that he was born and that God had given him a great family and friends who loved him. I don't think he was convinced.

1 comment: