Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Lord's Prayer

Jesus said, "This then, is how you should pray, 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread, forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.' " Last night my husband went through this prayer as the sermon during our weekly youth service. He said a couple of words, explained it, and gave everyone 2-3 minutes to sit quietly to pray. It was so refreshing and pure, I think because of the simplicity of it. A couple of the youth said it was the first time they had ever prayed. Some cried. I discovered something in my heart as well. When we were on the "as we also have forgiven our debtors" part, we were asked to forgive those we haven't. No one came to mind, so I asked the Lord to show me if there was any unforgiveness in my heart. Immediately a flood of tears came streaming down my face because I knew in my heart I needed to forgive God for taking my dad away from me. I hadn't consciously blamed him, but I had asked "Why, God?" "Why did you take my daddy away so early?" "Why didn't you hear me begging you not to?" I know I will never understand it all in this life, but I must trust that God is sovereign. That is all the hope I have.

1 comment:

  1. inspiring and beautiful ashley. I am with you there.
    -me

    ReplyDelete