Wednesday, July 15, 2009

While the cat's away, the mice will play!

Aaron went out of town this past Sunday for a short trip to a multi-media conference called BUG at Church of the Highlands in Alabama. It's funny how when he goes out of town I feel like I find myself again. I guess it's easy to get caught up in what he's doing outside of the house because I feel like I'm not doing much with my own life. I know raising kids isn't "nothing," but it can be mundane and feels very ordinary. When Aaron goes out of town, I am forced to think and do things for myself, which gives me a little taste of independence. Just a couple of days is all I need. After 6 years of marriage, I am very spoiled. Each time he returns I ask myself, "Why can't I live my life like this when he is here?" To answer honestly, I've never wanted to live a separate life from my husband. Confession: When he is gone, I hit the streets and splurge! In the morning we had cinnamon rolls for breakfast, later that afternoon, we went to Whole Foods to do a little grocery shopping. I let the boys get chocolate chip waffles instead of whole grain ones, and we had pizza and spinach dip for lunch instead of trying to find something healthy. On the way home, we stopped at Baskin Robins for ice cream, and just before getting home we swung by Walmart for tatoos and gum from the 25 cent machines right by the door. Sometimes it's good to say "yes!"

1 comment:

  1. "Sometimes it's good to say "yes!" What an awesome conclusion to arrive at and put so succinctly. Powerful! Ashley, you are a gifted communicator.

    ReplyDelete