Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Happy Birthday Jacolin

Remember the boys from the projects that our boys play with? Well they're still coming around. It's been a test for me, but I've adapted to them. They feel more like my own kids now. I can't discipline them (although I'd love to most of the time), but I do make them use manners, show kindness to each other, and follow our house rules. Yesterday was Jacolin's birthday. He turned 6. So I thought it'd be a great idea to through a "family" party for him. He wanted a Hulk cake, so I made a green cake with white icing and tons of green sprinkles on top. My boys and I went to Walmart to get balloons, noise makers, and even a present. Seriously, I expected him to be at least a little grateful. Nothing. In fact, he complained about everything. He came in and stomped on all the balloons we had just blown up, didn't like the cake, and wanted money instead of a present! He even made a lasting impression on Gabe. He must have left his attitude at our house and Gabe picked it up! On the bright side, I have seen an amazing difference in his older brother, Kewan. He is 8 and his attitude has changed drastically. When we first met him he was very rude and angry. I have been working on him a lot. Now he is respectful, mostly obedient, says he is sorry without us making him, and almost always hugs me and says thank-you before they leave. I'm actually starting to like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment