Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Spiritual Power of a Mother

A couple of days ago, I started reading this book called "The Spiritual Power of a Mother" by Michael P. Farris. I'm only in the first chapter and am already feeling empowered! I wanted to share a few ideas and perhaps empower you as well (if you are a mom, that is). If you are a dad who is supportive of your wife's call to mother/disciple your children, you will be encouraged to continue to go before her to make the way possible. The feminist movement strives for power essentially for self-centered reasons - career, control of one's own time and body, politics, opportunities, money, etc. A feminist woman has to strain, push, and make the way possible for her to get that power. A true mother's power, however, is hidden. It comes the opposite way - the way of self-denial and sacrifice. She is mostly seen and heard by her children, who are not capable of giving her the credit she deserves.
Ultimately, power is found in the ability to influence the decisions and actions of others. This is what I call a mother. Few will be willing to follow a leader who is committed to selfish gain. Eventually, she will prove that "I come first" and leave her followers behind to fend for themselves. We trust a leader who sacrificially shows her commitment to our well being. We willingly follow a leader who has convinced us of their genuine love.
This is so exciting and challenging to me! I want to first of all make sure I am not a "feminist" mom who never truly accepts a life of sacrifice. Being a mother doesn't automatically make you a giving or sacrificial person. No, that happens at the cross, where you allow Jesus to take away your pride and natural "me first" attitude. The truth is that one day my boys will know if I had their best interest in mind, or mine. They will know by the little things I did, the time I spent with them, and how I treated them when I was tired or frustrated. Second, I want to make sure I purpose in my heart to be the leader they need. I do want to have a great amount of influence over my boys. I want to shape their opinions and world views to be Biblical ones. And when they are grown, I want them to honestly respect me as a godly woman, not just because they have to, but because I deserve it. There is real power in being a mom, but it's up to you to get it!

2 comments:

  1. I once heard that it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog! Keep it up Ashley- you are making mince-meat out of your spiritual enemies!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete