Friday, May 28, 2010

The Snowball Stand Man

This sweltering heat has forced us to the snowball stand a couple of times this week. On our last occasion, we brought Oscar, our dog. As we were enjoying our snowballs under a tree, a nice man in his 60's came over to talk to us. He had his grandson with him, who looked to be my oldest son's age. The man was friendly, not over the top, but then it happened. He explained that he lived next door and that his grandson was staying with him for the week and said how his wife would love to see Oscar. Normally I would not follow a man over to his house, but he seemed harmless. So off we went and we actually had a great time. The boys all played great together, they showed me pictures of their daughter, gave the boys capri sun's, and even offered to order a pizza! I pitched to the boys in the backyard while talking to his wife. For a moment I felt like I was back in time. His wife had grown up in Reserve her whole life and was still there. I imagined how life used to be - playing ball in the backyard while sipping on lemonade and enjoying conversation with your neighbors. Families raising their kids in the same neighborhoods and never moving away, just moving down the street. This could sound like a nightmare to some, but the thought of it is sweet.
It amazes me how people in our culture have become so detached from each other. I know things will never be like they used to be, but it makes me think about how I can bring this slowness of living to the culture around me by being more friendly with no agenda, having an open door to friends and neighbors, and for a moment, not caring about the clock. It may seem pointless, but I don't think I will ever forget "The Snowball Stand Man." He wasn't dynamic, just friendly. I would like to have an impact on people's lives around me like that.

2 comments:

  1. Great job Ashley! Finding memories and making memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can assure you, you already do impact people in this way :-). You are one of the most amazing people I've ever met! I hope all is well with you & your family!

    -Krista Peavy

    ReplyDelete