Monday, November 15, 2010

Annual Gingerbread House Making

I started making a gingerbread house with Gabe when he was four. Judah
was two, so he helped a little. That year we bought one of those kits
with everything you need in it. The next year we bought a bigger house
and honestly it was all very stressful. I made the house as quick as I
could with both boys breathing down my neck and begging me to finish
so they could decorate it. If you don't let it dry, it keeps falling
apart. There wasn't much candy in the kits and all they wanted to do
was eat it! Of course that sounds normal, but I was worried that they
wouldn't have enough candy left over for the house.
After two years of stressing, I finally figured out how to do it
stress free. All you need is a box or two of the large Graham
crackers, a few different kinds of candy bags and sprinkles, a bag of
cookie decorating icing for each child (the kind that you can squirt
to make designs), and a good nap time. While they were all asleep, I
made three individual houses with plenty enough time for them to dry.
I portioned and set out all of the candy on individual plates. So as
soon as they woke up from their naps, their houses were ready and
stable. I did help them squeeze the icing, but they did everything
else themselves and just the way they liked it. And of course since we
bought bags of candy, there was plenty enough for them to eat!

3 comments: